Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Garlic and Lime Vegan Tostadas

Garlic and Lime Vegan Tostadas

Now, let me get one thing straight.... I am not a Vegan.... Well kind of... I guess I am what I like to call a temporary Vegan. I always said that I would be a vegan except for the fact that I love the taste of meat and cheese. But for health reasons and as hubby and I are rounding a corner, & pushing the big 30, 40, or 50 (I will let you guess), we are ... dare I say.. eating an all veggie diet. And I mean ALL VEGGIE. (except for when I cheat and eat prepackaged pecan snack crackers).... Did I just say that out loud?

You got it; we are drinking green smoothies in the morning, and mixing and matching lots of vegetables all day long. The truth is that we do seem to have more energy. So, here comes the shocker.... Are you sitting down?

I have not had one cookie, slice of cake, pie, or sweetbread for three weeks. Yes, ME the queen of dessert, the princess of pie , the "let's have cake for breakfast"....yes, the woman who would rather have dessert than air, is not eating dessert!!! I can't believe I am still alive for heaven's sakes!!! What do I do? I eat fruit instead. I know, I know, I always said that fruit is not dessert. But for me at the moment it temporarily is.

At this point you must be thinking ...."eating nothing but Veggies seems crazy", but if hubby and I can do it, than you can at least share in our feast and try a Tostada or two. And the next thing you know you will be drinking spinach for breakfast.

But for heaven saves, whatever you do, don't go overboard and give up dessert.

Ingredients:

Corn tortillas

2 tablespoons olive oil

3 cups fresh or frozen corn

1 sweet onion finely minced

1 small red and green pepper, seeded and diced

2 heads garlic, unpeeled

Carne Asada Seasoning to taste

White pepper, to taste

3 limes

3-4 baked potatoes, skins removed and cubed

½ head cabbage, thinly sliced

½ Bunch cilantro leaves chopped

2 ripe avocados, sliced

2-3 roma tomatoes, diced

Preparation:

1. Place olive oil, corn, ½ of the onion, and red and green peppers in a large pan and fry until mixture begins to brown about (10-15 minutes).

2. Stir in minced garlic and the juice of 1 lime and begin adding the carne asada salt, and white pepper to taste. Turn heat to off position and cover

3. In a small bowl, mix minced onion, cilantro, and juice of ½ lime together.

4. Starting with a corn tortilla on the bottom, place a spoonful of potatoes, sliced avocados, corn mixture, cabbage, cilantro mixture. Top with tomatoes, and serve with ¼ lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments