Thursday, January 19, 2012

Tomatillo & Avocado Salsa Verde V* GF**


The perfect match for Garlic & Lime Vegan Tostadas

I love shopping at a small Mexican Market near my home. I walked in today and noticed that everything had changed inside and quickly learned that they were under new management. Right in front of my eyes was their amazing meat showcase. The man behind the case wasted no time in trying to tempt me into buying some of their tantalizing marinated thinly sliced beef (which is why I usually go there in the first place). Just as I was starting to salivate, there it was …. The biggest ugliest cow head, or Cabeza I have ever seen in my life! Actually, I can’t say that I have ever seen just the head of a cow before, ever…eeeeek. He said, “oh, Senoria, you must try it, it’s delicious”. To which I replied, “he’s looking at me, and I can’t eat anything that is looking at me” “oh, no… he is not looking at you, he winking at you”. At that point, I pulled out the Vegan card and kindly asked…”where’s the tomatillos?” To which I bought a pound, headed home and made this sauce …..

Save a cow head today and make this tangy and tasty Tomatillo Salsa Verde instead…

Tomatillo & Avocado Salsa Verde

Ingredients:

1 pound tomatillos, husked

½ jalapeno pepper, seeds and all

4-8 cloves garlic (the more the better)

½ lime, squeezed

½ avocado

3 tablespoons chopped cilantro

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Place tomatillos in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat for about 10 minutes.

2. Drain water, and carefully place tomatillos inside a blender with remaining ingredients. Place cover on blender and pulse about 4-6 times. Once pulsed, turn blender on high speed until ingredients are smooth and creamy

*Vegan

**Gluten Free

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments