You do not need to be a hippie to enjoy this yummy granola. But after just one bite don't be surprised if the word "grooooovy" slips past your lips. This is one delicious breakfast cereal that will delight even the pickiest of eaters. Olive Oil Granola is a staple in our kitchen. We use it for everything from yogurt fun, to topping our ice cream sundaes.
It is especially a great treat for people who must swear off gluten and/or dairy. But don’t let that scare you, as this cruncher has converted many a die-hard junk cereal fans into healthier breakfast eaters. If you want less sweet skip the sugar; it's delicious either way.
If you really want to be in good morning heaven, pour a little of your cold homemade almond milk over the top.... and oh baby!!!
6 cups rolled oats
1½ cup chopped pecans or almonds
¼ cup cashews or sunflower seeds
1 cup dried apples (optional)
1 cup corn flakes
½ cup krispy rice cereal
1½ cup shredded coconut
½ cup dark brown sugar (optional)
½ cup honey
½ cup mild tasting extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1½ teaspoons sea salt
1 cup craisins
1. Preheat oven to 225 degrees F °
2. In a large bowl, combine oats, nuts, apples, cereals, coconut, and brown sugar.
3. In a small saucepan add honey, olive oil, vanilla and salt. Heat over a medium flame until very hot, but not boiling.
4. Evenly pour hot honey mixture over dry mixture, and toss to combine.
5. Divide mixture and fold out onto 2 large sheet pans (jelly roll). Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning with a spatula every 20-30 minutes to achieve an even color.
6. Cool for 20- minutes and transfer into a large bowl. Add craisins, and blend until evenly distributed.
This is a very large batch and stores well in mason jars or Ziploc bags.